Robin Stroot: The hook is too close to the yarn color | Opinion

Recently I took my craft project bag with me on a visit with one of my daughters. I got home later that day and went to work more on my project. However, the hook I needed for my project was not in the bag. I texted my daughter to see if I had dropped the hook somewhere on her floor. My daughter texted back and said she didn’t see the hook anywhere on the floor of her house. No problem. I have several hooks in my crafting stash, many of which I inherited from my late mother-in-law’s crafting items.

I used to think that hooks and knitting needles came in different colors so the crafter could choose their favorite color of needle/hook to use for their craft project. My knitting/crocheting experience has proven that the contrasting colors of the knitting/crochet needles help you see the stitches more easily as you work on your project. I’ve had knitting projects where the stitches were almost impossible to see because the knitting needles and yarn matched so well that the stitches blended in with the color of the needle.

I picked out another hook from my craft supplies and went to work on the last rows of my afghan project. The only issue I had was that the replacement hook matched the yarn color of my afghan almost exactly and it was the only extra hook in the size needed.

You see, I was working on the last edge rows of one of the Afghan babies. Each yarn color is used for three rows of double crochet stitches around the edge of the afghan. I work one row all the way around the whole afghan, chain three stitches, then turn the afghan and go back to the previous row of stitches.

Since my yarn and hook matched so well, I was running into incomplete stitches made in the previous row of stitches. These particular afghans are made using 4-ply yarn (four single strands of yarn are spun together to form the thickest yarn strand). An incomplete stitch is made when the hook catches only two or three of the 4-ply yarns, resulting in a weak stitch of that particular stitch. Point stability is compromised and may eventually wear enough to break more easily, resulting in a hole in the afghan.

Finding the split pleat stitch meant I had to rip all the stitches around the afghan edge, go back to the previous row to secure the stitch. Eventually I got to the point where I did about 25 stitches and then looked at the back of the stitches to see if I had missed a fold of the stitches. At least then I avoided tearing out an entire row for missing stitches.

I paused, looked for something in the outer pocket of my purse, and found the missing hook in the pocket of my purse. I replaced the matching blue hook with the light green hook and found it easier to see the stitches while working on my project. I was able to finish the Afghan baby just in time to give it to our youngest granddaughter over the past vacation.